I’ve been trying to have some fun with photography, though this cold weather makes it difficult. Anyway, using the method described in this article, I made a mask for one of my cheaper plastic cameras (a Vivitar CV35). I decided to stick with something simple, and made a square, or squarish anyway, mask, using black card stock and black artist’s tape that I bought at Staples. I probably should have bought a new X-acto knife too, but I’m already terrified of the one I own. As you will see, I have a none too steady hand at cutting a straight line:
The images came out in the center of the frame, but the drugstore (I went to CVS this time) cut them over to the edge. I chopped off the dark third of the photo when I scanned. Only the fourth one shows all the sides — Next time I’ll tell them to be careful to try not to cut the image off on the side like that, if their machine will let them. By the way, the lady at CVS was thrilled at how they came out, even more than I was. She especially liked the one of the gazebo things. I think next time I’ll use 400 speed film instead of 800 — it was a misty day, but the pictures still look a bit overexposed. Also I might try making some more masks — a better square, something with a hole puncher like the linked article shows, maybe even some transparency masks. I wouldn’t do this to one of my nice cameras, but the CV35 is a piece of crap — I love the way photos taken with it turn out (all distorted and stuff — it has a 27mm wide-angle plastic lens, after all), but the flash in it quit working; now I just keep a battery in it to give it some weight.